illegitimate lovechild

Monday, October 15, 2007

potatoes

So I am over a month into my final year of high school. I feel pretty safe in saying that high school is a strong competitor in the category of "Most Useless Experiences of My Life." Honestly, school is such a manufactured and fake experience I don't even know why I go anymore. For example, let's agree with the idea that C is average for most schools. Saying that an average C is 75% (at Waunakee it would probably be about 80% because of the seven point scale). That means that the average student doesn't understand 20-25% of the material presented in class. One fourth. They can miss out on one fourth of the knowledge in a course and still get the credits. This is a ridiculous system. And look at grades in a more abstract sense (I feel like I've written about this before). Grades are not at all representative of how much material a student understands. In a perfect world, tests would be the only graded activities. If you can learn everything in the class without doing any extra work, then you should be able to just pass all the tests and get on with your life. Forcing assignments down people's throats that is not going to help them is stupid.

And frankly, in terms of scholastics, college is even worse. To get the degree you're told is just to get a job, you're forced to take completely irrelevant classes. But I'm not going to go any further than that.

Otherwise, life has been pretty mundane since my last post two months ago. I started my new job at the Video Library, which is a pretty pimp job, but very boring sometimes. It has afforded me the opportunity to watch many movies I haven't seen, like The Royal Tenenbaums, Marie Antoinette, and Hot Fuzz though. When I'm not watching movies I'm sitting on my butt quietly contemplating. Less than twenty people come in every shift. Oftentimes it is much, much less than twenty and very, very rarely is it any more than that.

Wow, next time, I'll need a more concrete theme. For now enjoy the potatoes portion of your meal.

Oh, also, I've narrowed my university choice down to a top three: Madison, Minnesota, or Marquette. It doesn't go beyond top three though, I have no preference beyond that really.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home